Please bring a picture ID and have your most recent insurance card(s) and information on additional insurance plan(s) readily available upon visit or admission. This will alleviate the possibility of billing errors and delays. We understand that insurance coverage may change at some point. Patients are encouraged to call their insurance company(ies) to inform them of any changes in their insurance plan(s).
In addition to receiving a bill from Hilo Medical Center, patients may receive separate bills from our provider partners such as our Emergency Department physicians (Hawaii Emergency Physicians Association or HEPA), radiologists (Hawaii Radiologic Associates or HRA), Clinical Labs and other specialty areas physicians like surgeons, anesthesiologists and obstetricians/gynecologists.
Price Transparency Policy “Affordable Care Act, Section 2718(e)”
This policy allows the public to view East Hawaii Region Hospital’s (Hilo Medical Center, Hale Ho’ola Hamakua and Kau Hospital) standard charges in compliance with the Affordable Care Act, Section 2718(e) of the Public Health Service Act. It is intended to promote transparency for patients to understand their potential financial liability for services obtained at EHR and to allow comparison for similar services with hospitals.
However, it should be noted that hospital charge masters are lengthy and complex documents and do not provide information at a level necessarily conducive for this purpose. Therefore, additional information, as outlined in the Standard Charges page, will be provided to patients seeking price estimates.
For Your Convenience
Please see our Payment Assistance brochure to help you navigate the full suite of payment options.
We have several options to accept your payment (co-payment/patient share):
- At the cashier’s window in the hospital lobby or any of our clinics during regular business hours.
- At the bedside in the Emergency Department or at the Admitting Department upon discharge.
- Charge card payments over the phone by calling (808) 932-3420 and selecting Option 1.
Financial Assistance Program
Patients may be able to receive partial or a full write-off for their care. Completing the application will help Hilo Medical Center determine if a patient is eligible to participate in our financial assistance program for your health care services. Please refer to the Financial Assistance Program Policy summary to understand patient eligibility requirements. While there is no deadline for submitting this application, please be advised that you are responsible for your bill while this application is being reviewed. Due to the volume of applications, please allow one month for processing. Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received.
- Financial Assistance Program Application and Assistance Program Policy
- Espanol: Para acceder al Resumen de ayuda financiera y la solicitud en español, haga clic aquí
- Hawaiian: Inā makemake e loaʻa ka Hōʻike Pōkole Pilina Kōkua Kālā a me ka Palapala Noi ma ka ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi, ʻoluʻolu e kaomi maʻaneʻi
- Tagolog: Upang tingnan o kunin ang Buod ng Pinansiyal na Tulong at Aplikasyon sa Tagalog, mangyaring magklik dito
- Ilocano: Tapno kitaen wenno alaen ti Pakabuklan ti Pinansial a Tulong ken Aplikasion iti Ilocano i-klikyo koma ditoy